Monday, November 3, 2008

Could I vote for a President who was of a different religion than mine or an Atheist?

Yes, I could. And I know what you’re thinking: ‘Just how can a Christian vote for a person of a different religion or even worse an Atheist?'



The reason for me is quite simple: All gifts an individual has were created by God; even those gifts possessed by non-christians.



So to me, when considering a candidate, it is actually a comparison of gifts; not a statement of Religion. In short, I will choose the most gifted candidate possible regardless of religion. This example presents the same dilemmas when I am considering a surgeon. Does the surgeon’s religion rank foremost or does his/her experience? Would you prefer a Christian surgeon who just completed his/her residency or would you prefer a surgeon with thousands of successful surgeries but happens to be a Muslim. In an ideal world, I would prefer an experienced Christian surgeon; but if given a non-ideal situation, I would choose the experienced Muslim surgeon over a non-experienced Christian one without even blinking.



Also, let me add another point, does being a Christian guarantee competency, or on the flipside, does being a non-christian guarantee ineptitude? If you answer no to this question then you are essentially in agreement that the question of whom to choose is ultimately a question of ineptitude versus competency.



So when considering a Presidential Candidate, shouldn’t the underlying questions be who can lead us in the areas of better foreign policy, economics, national security, etc……..?

No comments:

Site Counter